Good news! Yesterday evening I finished shredding the last materials from the two big boxes Ken had in storage. I still have to work on the files in the office but that can wait for a week or two. Having this finished just might impprove my mood.
This morning I finished a second project that has been nagging at me. At the end of September, 2011 I made color swatches of all of my watercolor materials – tubes, pans, pencils, crayons, even my Yarka kid’s set. This morning I finally did my comparisons and was generally very pleased with the results.
Color stability testing
I had two blues from a set of Pebeo pan watercolors that looked borderline but my big surprise was that all three of my sets of watercolor pencils had colors that failed. Cretacolor had a red and a green that had slight fading. Reeves had two blues, one with substantial fading.
A blue that faded
Inktense also had several colors with slight fading (Inktense colors were generally brighter and more saturated.)
I plan to mark all of the colors that are suspect with tape so I don’t use them. I also plan to put all of them into a second color test. As I mentioned some of the fading was very slight and I don’t want to eliminate colors when something else might have contributed. Anyway, This was a very good activity and has relieved some concerns that I had.