Ken and I volunteered at the art museum yesterday so I did not have much concentrated time to work on my painting. I was able to focus on the background and it is almost completed. As I’ve mentioned I am trying to use a fairly rigorous process for this painting instead of my spontaneous, jump-right-in process. Now many of you may not believe this but I don’t normally test my colors before I start using them. I paint this way normally because I usually use pure colors that have not been mixed and little or no glazing. This time I have been testing colors as I use them and it saved my painting! For the background I wanted something fairly dramatic so I was using an approach talked about in American Artist Watercolor magazine this quarter. You glaze quin gold, alizarin crimson and ultramarine blue. I did the first two layers (gold and crimson) and it looked pretty good but when I tested the ultrmarine blue as the final glaze it turned to mud…even when I sprayed the paper with water and just tried dropping in color. This COULD HAVE BEEN A DISASTER! Luckily I had not touched my painting. I did several studies and worked out an approach using Winsor Violet and Winsor Blue. I may have a little bit of adjusting to do but I am ready to move on to the Cowgirl. Now my knees are shaking as well as my hands!
April 2, 2010 April 3, 2010