It is time to post the painting I did for the Spring Challenge posted by Small Town Dad. I can’t wait to see the other paintings.
I used a process that is used often in watercolor painting but that I had never used. I did small thumbnails to decide on the composition I wanted to paint than I transferred the composition to a 140# Arches CP paper. I masked the flowers and buds and then sprayed the paper with water. I splattered various greens, golds and yellows over the paper. I let this dry and then painted in broad brush strokes of green on the botton and yellow on the top of the composition. Next step was to remove the mask and paint the flowers, stems and buds. I then remasked the flowers, did more spraying, splattered, splotching, touching, and fiddling. Removed the masking and did final touch up all over the painting. It worked fairly well and I have learned alot. The only thing I am unhappy with is the effect on the surface of the paper from rubbing off multiple layers of masking. The second layer had too much water on the brush when dipping into the mask so the mask layer was thin and hard to rub off. Oh yes, and my poppies look like tulips! Anyway…enjoy this lovely Spring day.