Today was laundry day so I didn’t start painting until late in the afternoon. It was cold and I was glad to stay inside.
The first format I created when drawing for my Watercolor 101 class did not work. The drawing was too large and I didn’t have room to tape off the sides of the drawing. I’ve learned how satisfying it can be when you remove the tape around a painting and those crisp, clean, mat-like edges emerge so I not only tape down the paper, I also tape the edges of the painting space. One less thing for them to stress about!
I decided to work with earthtones. It is cold. I wanted to see if I could create a warm feel to the painting. I also wanted to work on composition and movement through the painting. I think some things worked and some did not but I was not unhappy with the painting. One of the things that I find the most fun and challenging with abstracts is deciding which “side is up”. I’m still not sure I’m finished rotating it. Maybe I will convert the photo to black and white so I can just look at value and forget about color!